Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Last Day Sarah Horowitz Perfume Experiment


Hello again dear readers! I hope everybody had a fantastic weekend! I've decided that I want to include the last three Sarah Horowitz fragrances in one single post, wrapping up our fragrance experiment this afternoon (I've got a great surprise for our next test brand!) I've had such a great time experimenting with these scents, testing how they've made me feel, how their notes affected my mood and my day in general. It's so refreshing to come across a quality fragrance line with scents that are original and authentic smelling. They're for women who don't feel that connection with the naked supermodel spokeswoman who is the norm for perfume these days. They're for the woman who wants to layer her perfume without having to be a scientist, just because she wants to smell unique and memorable. So down to business....

Today I am sniffing out the Sarah Horowitz Perfumers Palette fragrances. The fun thing about this part of the line is that it creates the opportunity for you to make your dream concoction! The three sections of this collection are pretty basic: "Top Notes," "Middle Notes," and "Base Notes." You are free to choose any combination of you choice to create a one of a kind scent that only you know about. I will be testing three "Base Notes," which is truly the foundation of any scent. Here is how Sarah Horowitz explains a base note; "It is where the riches, deepest ingredients are found, anchoring the rest of your scent to your skin. Consisting mostly of Woods, Resins, and Roots, these scents will ground your fragrance and create warmth and depth for your perfume."

The base notes by Sarah consist of: Amber, Clean Musk, Sandalwood, Soft Musk, and Vanilla. Today I will be testing Soft Musk, Clean Musk, and Vanilla.

I was fascinated with the idea of Clean Musk, because it truly a contrasting base in my opinion. To me, a musk is a warm, sweet, smoky scent, the exact opposite of something fresh. After trying Clean Musk, I can attest that it is exactly that: a clean version of musk. Picture fresh out of the dryer sheets with an undertone of musk rolled into the center. It's something that can be worn alone, but I would most likely pair it with Fig Middle Note to play off of the earthy, fresh contrast of the musk.

Next I tried Soft Musk, which is a very soft, very subtle fragrance. It smells clean and feminine, something I would wear during the day. By itself, it's very subtle, almost too subtle for my taste...which makes it the ideal Base Note. Base Notes are meant to be built upon, and with Soft Musk, I would layer a crisp Honeysuckle Middle Note, or a Lychee Top Note to add an exotic, fruity feeling. I like that Soft Musk is so compatiable with other scents, it could easily be a fresh floral, a warm sensual vanilla, or something a little more exotic.

The last Base Note that I tested was Vanilla. I love everything vanilla, if it's done right. Too many times, vanilla is turned into an artifical birthday-cake scent, making its wearer and friends dizzy and sick. A great vanilla shouldn't be sickly sweet, it should have a sensual base that is creamy and inviting. Sarah's Vanilla Base Note is the ideal vanilla to me. It is sweet without being suagr cookie sweet, it is sensual without being too warm, and it has a hint on coconut on my skin, which leaves me craving the beach. I will have a really hard time layering anything else on top of this base, because it is so perfect on its own, although I know that Gardenia Middle Note make a perfect pairing. If you were feeling more up for an energizing fragrance, I would mix Vanilla Base with Blood Orange Top Note. It would be the best of both words; zingy citrus and mellow vanilla all rolled into one. Overall, these base notes are a great start for anyone who has an interest in creating his or her own fragrance collection.

I have had a fantastic time experiementing with these fragrances this week! I have learned a lot of notes, and even moe about what scents I like and could grow to like. Just remember that the most important thing about a fragrance is how it is affected by your body chemistry. Things that smell fantastic on a cardboard scent strip or even a friend will most likely smell completely different on you...and that's ok. Just go with your instinct and wear something that fits your personality as much as it does your lifestyle.

Thank you to Sarah Horowitz and staff for supplying us with testers of your scents!