Wednesday, October 28, 2009

I hate to say it but...duh


It's always more than a little frustraing to me when I read about things that are so completely obvious that it's almost silly. But then I realize (or better yet, somebody nevee hesistates to tell me) that I am stuck inside of this gorgeous, pink, candy scented, beauty product filled bubble with an unpenetratable shell. What seems obvious to me within the beauty industry is actually sometimes news for the rest of the world. Such is the case with Faye Brookman's article in WWD this week entitled "Baby Beauty Products Appear Popular Among Adults."




For three years I've been selling baby care line Mustela at The Beauty Loft, and for about that same amount of time, we have been using the Mustela Baby Wipes For Face as makeup remover. Our philosophy is this; if it's gentle enough for your baby/newborn, then it's sure gentle enough for even the most sensitive customer, whatever the age. According to WWD, 40% of adults (both men and women) currently use baby products on themselves.

WWD also makes a point in the article that I disagree with; they state that one of the main reasons why consumers are purchasing baby items is because of the cost.

"I think consumers continue to be careful with their spending. The Johnson’s/Harris Poll showed that 71 percent of adults indicated they would be more likely to use baby products if they were less expensive than the adult equivalent,” she said.

In my experience, customers are not buying the baby items because of the cost. They are buying them because they are extra gentle, or they got hooked after using them on their own children. According to the cheaper price logic, my customer who buys the Mustela Baby Wipes is buying them because they are under $10. Totally untrue. For less than that, they can go to their local drugstore and buy Neutrogena or Almay Makeup Remover Wipes, but it's a conscious choice that they are making. I think a more interesting choice for an article would be why after a product is geared for a certain age, we start adding harmful chemicals. At what age does a company dedide...ok, it's time? Ok, I'm off my soapbox now!


Keep checking back because in the next couple of days I will be reviewing some fantastic, new, organic products!