Saturday, October 24, 2009

Day Four Sarah Horowitz Perfume Experiment


Is anyone else counting the days until Halloween? Even though I don't plan on dressing up or even trick o' treating, I am waiting waiting waiting! Why? Well two reasons, the first is that I love the Witches New Year! It's so eerie and festive and silly, and such a staple of my year that it's sometimes hard for me to believe that there are families who don't even celebrate it. The second reason is because Halloween candy goes on MAJOR sale the day after Halloween! Everything from candy corn, tootsie pops, dots, sour patch kids, and not just little bags either...but like the 5 pound bags! Now don't think i'm a closet candy eater or anything...I love to have fresh candy around The Beauty Loft. Candy is friendly, colorful, and tastes and smells delicious...and speaking of smelling delilcous...I come to you with today's newest fragrance in the fragrance experiment: Sarah Horowitz Perfect Nectar from the "Perfect Collection."

It's not a coincidence that somebody who loves candy as much as I do also loves very sweet scents. I almost always gravitate towards scents with top notes of cotton candy, burnt sugar, vanilla, jasmine, and light, sweet florals. The interesting thing about my tastes, however, is that I have never especially like fruity scents. I do like fruit, I like to eat it and cook with it, but I don't like to smell of it (there is only one exception, and that is Fresh Fig Apricot fragrance, but it smells more sweet than fruity in my opinion.) So I had to have an open mind today when I tested the Perfect Nectar, a scent more fruit and exotic than the islands themselves.

When I first applied the fragrance, I smelled the ripe, fruity notes right away. I smelled peach and orange, and maybe a little bit or raspberry (however, I later learned that the notes are in fact blood orange, papaya, mango, and ylang ylang.)

The dry down of Perfect Nectar is more of a light floral, a scent that I would associate with a garden wedding in the summertime, or a weekend wine tasting trip. For a fruity fragrance, it manages to steer clear of artifical "pie and cobbler" notes and it is very grown up. I would expect to smell this on anybody from 20 to 55 years old, it's youthful but still tastefully done. And my dog loves it...he's been licking my arm any chance he gets! That's a good sign...right?