Sunday, July 5, 2009

Aching Muscles



I have bittersweet emotions about post-workout pains. On one hand, it's good to feel some aches and pains because it means your muscles were worked, but on the other hand, it can be too painful for you to enjoy the post workout glow. Tonight I am in some rather intense workout pain from two days of hard workouts and not getting much sleep. Besides some Advil and chocolate milk (which I have read is ideal for muscle repair,) I used to think that there wasn't much I could do to make the pain go away until my muscles just plain healed. But thankfully I have on hand the Ole Henriksen Muscle Comfort Lotion, a completely relaxing lotion that is a must-have for anybody who suffers from workout aches and pains (this is also great used as a foot lotion for tired, sore feet.) After the shower I just use a big dollop wherever it hurts the most (usually shoulders, calves, stomach, arches of the feet, etc) but avoiding sensitive areas because this helps to activate circulation and will create a burning sensation to any sensitive place. It has peppermint oil extract, which creates a cooling sensation and helps to energize tired body parts and seaweed extract, which moisturizes skin and helps reduce excess fluids and water retention. For best results, apply the lotion and then go lay in bed, letting every muscle in your body relax. Of course, it's even better if you have somebody to massage it on for you! I recommend this lotion for athletes, pregnant women, and women who wear heels all day long; but a warning; you will become addidcted to it, so you might as well keep it in your gym bag.