Thursday, June 25, 2009

Ice Ice Baby



A nice perk about being both a cosmetic boutique owner and a freelance beauty editor is the very generous companies who ask me to try their products. I will never forget my very first box of goodies sent to me close to six years ago when I had just started to write for a fashion website. I couldn't believe that the company not only sent me an entire box of products, but that they weren't "sample size," and they were in fact the actual retail size! By now I am used to getting boxes of products and sometimes it's hard for me to keep track of who sent what. I am always honored when a small and upcoming brand sends me products and items for my opinion. I always get so excited when I see a new, sometimes homemade brand reach big stores and I know that I helped them get there. Another great reason why I love receiving these boxes of goodness is because a lot of times the product is really, really good.
Such was the case when I received a box of Skyn Iceland products quite a while ago. I had heard of the brand and am familiar with the effects of stress of my skin, so naturally I had a great time washing, scrubbing, spraying, and lathering.
Well, they say that you can tell if you love a product instead of just liking one by whether or not you carry it with you. It's funny to me, but sometimes I never even realize how much I liked a product until there are only three drops left and the thought it being without it makes me want to hide my face/hair.
This exact scenario happened this week when I went to reach for my Skyn Iceland Arctic Face Mist and only a slosh of blue liquid started back at me. OH NO! My skin needs that icy tingle after I wash it, my skin needs that spa-like smell, my skin needs that post-workout glow, my skin needs more!
And there it was...that addiction to a truly great product, one that I took for granted and only realized how attached I was to it after it threatened to leave. That is the test of a great skincare product...and trust me...I try a lot of them!